Home

Friday, February 11

I'm Making Time?


Happy Friday, and happy weekend!

When I started using this blog as part of the campaign process, I originally thought I'd only write something about once a week...but I've come to find that I really enjoy it! In some weird way, using this kind of media is cathartic - and helps me process my own thoughts. I think that's why Facebook is now such a phenomenon, too!

What I'd like to share with you today is a thought about the name of this blog, Medora Making Time. I have a philosophy these days, and I literally think about it every single day...We make the time for what we see as priorities, not find the time. Isn't that profound? I can't take the credit - I think I heard it somewhere, but it has definitely become my mantra over the last few years. With so many things going on all at the same time, how do we manage to cope, and actually accomplish some of it? We make the time.

Making time can also be interpreted as catching up - and that's another way to look at life, but it feels like that means I'm behind in some way. "Catching up" is a motivating idea, but at the same time feels more difficult. "Making the time" is more of a choice, and is up to ME. I love the freedom of making my own choices and prioritizing my life in the way I see fit. It's up to me! Of course, I make all of my choices with my husband and family in mind, but that is also a choice of mine. I've always been a stubbornly independent girl; the freedom is intoxicating.

What kind of daily choices are you making? Did you know that you're already Making Time, or choosing not to make the time, for the things that are top on your list? Now, we don't really need a list on a piece of paper to know where our priorities are, but recognize that in order to see the success we hope to achieve, we have to make the time to take those required little steps to get there. Are you hoping for a higher grade on the next test? Are you hoping to land your dream job? More time with family? Or perhaps hoping for something internal, such as a heftier self-esteem and self-confidence? Make the time to do what it takes to head in the right direction, and I just know that when you get there you'll be filled with love and pride.

One last thought is that another side of this freedom of choice is the freedom to change your list of priorities. Our goals are allowed to change! If a loved one becomes ill, it shifts our entire life. Or if our academic goals change, that's okay. Life is fluid, flexible, and FUN - just pay attention to the big picture and keep heading in that direction. A little bit every day is all it takes.

Today I'm working, playing with the kids, and getting ready for tomorrow's birthday party at our house! Molly will be four tomorrow, and I'll be 29 on Sunday! (For the 4th time.) And with a test on Monday (Valentine's Day??), I'll be studying all weekend as well...So what are you making time for this weekend?

1 comment:

  1. I'm making time for Chloe's Birthday tomorrow, working out in the am, and traveling to western Virginia with my family to see my husband's brother's family! You are right.. it IS all about choices!

    ReplyDelete