Home

Tuesday, February 8

The Juggling Act



From a 2009 blog post in the Wall Street Journal that I recently found, Naomi Schaeffer Riley states:

"'There's no such thing as work-life balance.' That's what former General Electric chief executive Jack Welch recently told the Society for Human Resource Management at its annual conference. 'There are work-life choices,' he said, 'and you make them, and they have consequences.' Mr. Welch's comments reverberated across the Web as women (and men) argued over whether it was possible to rise to a high level in corporate America and take time off to have a family."

To a point, I agree - there is a balance, but it is all choices. And as we know, all choices have consequences. Do we know where our priorities are? I love the Mary Kay philosophy of God first, Family second, and Career third. Taking care of our spirituality or our inner selves is of utmost importance in maintaining our mental and physical health, and I personally feel that Family is a priority... a tough mix comes into play, though, when Family and Career intertwine; we need the ability to provide for our Families.

A lot of my friends are just now starting to have babies, or are adding to their families these days. I, on the other hand, have gotten used to the constant gasping and surprised expressions when I share that I'm already a mom of 5 (and I'm going with "young" mom of 5). I'm so proud of my big family, and they know they are always number ONE with me...and they also know that in order for us to stick together, have money for groceries and treats, and have our lovely home, Mommy and Daddy work and/or go to school. The kids are unconsciously learning a valuable life lesson; things will not just fall into your lap in life, so if you have a goal, make it real! Make it official by setting that goal in place and start taking the little steps to get there. And just as importantly, make sure you are creating a strong support system of friends and family to help you get there. If it takes a village to raise a child, it definitely takes teamwork to reach a goal.

Just a few years ago, when my kids were babies and I was a stay-at-home Mom, I remember complaining to myself that I needed a CHALLENGE. I was looking for more in life, without really knowing what I was looking for. Never being one to follow the social norms, for better or worse, I had the big beautiful family BEFORE having the solid career.

So here I am, a "young" mom of 5, living and breathing the daily juggling act. I work full time and have amazing benefits for our whole family, wear my Mommy hat for a few hours, and then head back for lecture or clinicals as a full time student in the evenings. I often have to be in three places at once, but I know where my priorities are, and at the same time, I'm allowed to have GOALS ~ and I'm taking the little steps every day to reach them. Do I have a thousand things on my plate? Sure. And when I hear, "I don't know how you do it," I just laugh because I don't know, either. I just have a goal, and every day take a few little steps that might bring me, or us, a little closer. Just like you do.

As Riley states, "At times it is hard not to think that the 'work-life balance' is like the Loch Ness monster -- there are lots of sightings but no one has ever found it, and no one ever will. More important: Is it possible that so much agonizing and discussing may make life harder rather than easier? In short, is it possible to lose your balance, so to speak, by overthinking the work-life balance?"

I "think" yes...no pun intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment