Home

Thursday, February 3

Let the games begin!


Hello, fellow multi-taskers! Regardless of your personal story, if you are in nursing school, you ARE a multi-tasker. If you are a mom, you ARE a multi-tasker. The list goes on and on, but you get the idea. Welcome!

Let me take a moment to share with you what I'm doing these days - Work is going well here at the College of Nursing, and the kids are doing well, too. In fact, Elijah was just notified that he was chosen for honors courses when he gets to middle school this fall! The little ones are wild and doing just fine. We are about to have a princess birthday party just before Valentine's Day, for little miss Molly, who will be 4 already!

As a nursing student, I've decided that having a voice in the community is not only acceptable, but necessary if we are to help guide the field of nursing into the future. My own nursing career is off to a good start, and I'm feeling confident in classes - even though it is an extremely demanding schedule, I can envision myself at the end, as a Registered Nurse! It's a great feeling. And while I don't know exactly which way I think my nursing career will go, I do have a strong connection with pediatrics...I've even started preparing for the possibility of continuing school beyond this program! Whew, it's hard to imagine...but just in case, I'm adding a few things to my plate to help me prepare. What would help make the foundation for a wonderful Pediatric Nurse Practitioner? It's the combination of everything that leads up to that moment.

In light of all of this, I've been active with our own Bon Secours Memorial College of Nursing SGO over the last year, helping represent the Honor Council as well assist in other capacities. As a member of the National Student Nurses' Association (NSNA) I'm able to take advantage of discounts and other benefits, and enjoy the publication IMPRINT that is the only nursing-student-driven newsletter today. If you know me well, you know how much I love desktop publishing, and all things creative, so when I learned that the national positions with the NSNA are elected annually, I was immediately curious! I gathered my confidence, completed a long application process, and lo and behold, I've been officially added to the slate...

...as a Candidate for IMPRINT Editor 2011-2012 with the NSNA!

My national "campaign" will be now through April, when I will travel to Salt Lake City, Utah to attend the NSNA Annual Convention - a 5 day, whirlwind experience that will be like nothing I've ever done before!

I'm so excited to share all of this with you, and to drum up YOUR excitement about the coming months. Even if you have nothing to do with the nursing community, healthcare affects us all, and we all have a voice. Running for this national position is just one way I can share my views, expand my knowledge, and gain leadership experience as I use my voice...How would you use yours?

In the coming posts, I plan to talk a bit about what IMPRINT is, what the Editor does, and why I'm running for the position. What does it have to do with me? I'll share! And of course, the funny tidbits will be there as well, as I figure out how to mesh a national campaign with an already overflowing schedule...Speaking of which, I think I have a parent-teacher conference today at 3pm...

No comments:

Post a Comment